How to get a specific hostname to route to a specific IP address

SOLVED
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

How to get a specific hostname to route to a specific IP address

Hey all

I have a Synology NAS on my network called beefcake (beefcake.local) that has a few network interfaces on my LAN that perform different jobs. I have a single gigabit port and a couple SFP+ ports for high speed transfers. I want my standard users to always hit the IP address of the gigabit port (192.168.6.101) and never the SFP+ IPs. I want to have to always specify the IP for the SFP+ ports. So instead of saying smb://beefcake.local to get into the SMB shares, Im fine with saying smb://192.168.6.105 to hit the SFP+ port. 

So what's the right tool to make beefcake.local to always point to 192.168.6.101?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using active directory, only load the IP addresses into DNS that you want the users to use.

Otherwise you are going to need to use VLANs.  One for the Gigabit connections and IP addresses, and another VLAN and IP subnet for the high-speed ports.  Users will need to go into the VLAN with the Gigabit ports.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you are using active directory, only load the IP addresses into DNS that you want the users to use.

Otherwise you are going to need to use VLANs.  One for the Gigabit connections and IP addresses, and another VLAN and IP subnet for the high-speed ports.  Users will need to go into the VLAN with the Gigabit ports.

ok thanks big kahuna.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels