How to assign a STATIC IP to MX65

SOLVED
Ssulaimant
Conversationalist

How to assign a STATIC IP to MX65

Hi Team, 

I'm doing a Demo for a customer. When I set up the Demo in my office the MX picks up its IP from the ISP modem. However,  at the customer site,   it is not connecting to the customer Network because there is a firewall in place that's blocking it. Now, I'm thinking of giving the MX a STATIC IP that will be allowed on the customer's firewall. 

How can I configure a static IP on the MX for this case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a close timeline for the demo and possibly deployment. Thank you in advance 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

We uplink a MX to a third party router/security appliance transparently.

The MX Internet port is connected to a LAN port on the “other appliance”.

The port on the other appliance to which the MX is connected is configured with an untagged LAN (n.b. not VLAN) in this case 192.168.22.0/28. But whatever, although probably better to avoid a public address.

A DHCP server is configured on the other appliance and it supplies an IP address to the MX.

The internet port on the MX (port 1) is configured:

• Enabled
  • Trunk
  • Drop untagged traffic
  • Allowed VLANs - xxx, yyy, zzz, aaa, bbb

If you look at the Appliance Status page, you should see that the WAN IP address is that of the site's (dynamic) public IP address issued by the ISP.

The MX is not fazed by Double-NATting, so you probably won't need to worry about that, but it may be different with some VoIP phone models.

Looking at Security & SD-WAN > Monitor > Appliance Status > Uplink you should see how the WAN is configured:

Configured as: Dynamic

IP (DHCP):     192.168.22.14

Gateway:       192.168.22.1

DNS:           192.168.22.1

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Ssulaimant
Conversationalist

Very helpful! I was able to assign a static IP to the router via Local IP Assignment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels