How to Test for UDP Packet Loss

AY2022
Here to help

How to Test for UDP Packet Loss

I'm trying to capture the packet loss. 

We are having issue with DNS traffic that traverse through auto vpn via the vMX. 

Other than doing packet capture simultaneously from both end (on MX / MS), is there any other methods? 

Anyone has encountered UDP traffic issue via auto VPN?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried with Wireshark?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I haven't seen any issues with UDP over AutoVPN.

I would be using a packet capture to analyse the issue first.

If it is a Windows DNS server, you could also enable DNS logging, and see if the log produces anything interesting.

vchagas
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You may try to use iPerf. Please see the following documentation that explains more about this tool. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_Cl...

The results of the test will show the packet loss rate, as well as other network performance metrics such as jitter and throughput. it's important to note that UDP is an unreliable protocol, so some packet loss is to be expected.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note that it is normal for iPerf to report UDP packet loss.  What you can determine with it is what rate you can sustain with an acceptable level of packet loss by doing repeated trials at different bit rates.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels