HOW TO BLOCK YOUTUBE APP ON ANDROID AND IOS DEVICES?

Prince
Just browsing

HOW TO BLOCK YOUTUBE APP ON ANDROID AND IOS DEVICES?

Good day! May I know if anyone in here has successfully blocked the Youtube application on android and iOs devices? We had a Meraki MX84. We can block Youtube on browser of desktops and laptops through content filtering and Layer 7 firewall rule. However, when we use phones, we can still play videos on Youtube app. Thanks in advance
3 Replies 3
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's not an easy task, but try blocking UDP ports 80 and 443 (that's right) for YouTube since, if I'm not mistaken, the APP uses the QUIC protocol.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would aim to attack this at the DNS layer.  Try creating a layer 3 rule to block all access to *.youtube.com.  Also block the "Filter Avoidance" category in content filtering - to block DNS over HTTPS..

Once you have done that, reboot the device (to ensure the DNS cache is cleared) and see if that works.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels