HA pair and static uplink IPs issue (1.1.1.1)

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

HA pair and static uplink IPs issue (1.1.1.1)

I am recently hitting an interesting problem with MXs on HA pairs.

Procedure to replicatie problem:

Setup a HA pair with static IPs for the uplinks. Test everything to be working ok.

Reboot or remove power from one of the MX devices. The device may never join the dashboard.

Further troubleshooting (pcap from a switch), shows that the problematic MX has booted with an uplink IP of 1.1.1.1 and is looking for 1.1.1.2 . 

Only way to solve this, seems to be factory resetting the MX and reconfiguring it, or suppling a DHCP on it's uplink.

I've seen this on MX68 & 84 on 14.53.

I have an open case with support on this, but I was wondering if someone else has seen this behaviour.

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've done that lots and not seen that issue.

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Yes, I've done a few myself.

This is a fresh problem for me and I am trying to understand why the MX reverts to IP 1.1.1.1 when this issue occurs.

My setup includes a MS switch between the uplinks and the ISP.

The switchport connected to the primary MX uplink, will see a mac address cc:03:d9:9b:XX:XX while the MX boots up, which corresponds to the mac the MX pair uses in it's inside LAN and this confuses me even further...

This seems to be go away while deploying the devices in their final setup, so I'm starting to think that there seems to be something odd happening with  the setup I'm using for preconfiguring the devices. I'll have to further look into it.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like it is in dual master mode where both MXs would want to use vIP, or are you not using that option?

antonis_sp
Building a reputation

Νο, not using vIP (at least while testing).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels