HA failover over wireless point to point

SOLVED
NickSpink
Conversationalist

HA failover over wireless point to point

Hello,

I have a potential client with internet issues(seems to disconnect at the slightest issue). I have come up with a plan to help solve it but I am not confident it will work. The plan is to have an MX 75 as their primary firewall with a comcast connection and another MX 75 with a Tmobile connection in a maintenance shed about 600 feet away from the main building. The plan is to purchase some Ubiquiti point to point wireless connectors to connect the two through some switches branched off both of the MX's. I don't see why this wouldn't work but everything I am reading online shows both MX's with two WAN connections whereas my plan would have them both with one and I don't see anyone trying to do it over a wireless point to point connection rather than physical cables. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

First part. Yes, you can have provider 1 on MX 1 (primary) and provider 2 on MX 2 (spare).

Second part. As long as VRRP packets make it across the switches & wireless bridges the MXs will work in HA mode. My concern would be reliability of the wireless link and if you drop VRRP here and there you could end up with both MXs thinking they're primary (dual master issue).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

First part. Yes, you can have provider 1 on MX 1 (primary) and provider 2 on MX 2 (spare).

Second part. As long as VRRP packets make it across the switches & wireless bridges the MXs will work in HA mode. My concern would be reliability of the wireless link and if you drop VRRP here and there you could end up with both MXs thinking they're primary (dual master issue).

Thank you for the answer. That is a great point. Trust me, I don't love this idea either it is just the best one I could come up with that fits their budget. I am trying to talk them down to just having a backup internet connection. 

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Do you really want/need two MXs?  I would use one at the location with the best power and temperature conditions and then just extend the the secondary internet into WAN2 with the wireless bridge.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

I personally don't want it but the client likes the idea of redundancy. I am trying to talk them down to what you recommended. Thanks for the reply!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels