HA MX on a campus site

Dunky
A model citizen

HA MX on a campus site

I am installing a new Meraki LAN (MX, MS, MR, MT, MV) at a site that has multiple buildings.

The design calls for a pair of MX configured for HA.

The question is, if I have 2 switches connected by fibre (different building other side of the road) and an MX in each and split the 2 ISP connections 1 into each building - what would happen should the fibre link between the 2 be lost.  Would each MX become a primary and effectively create 2 networks?   And then what would happen when the fibre connection between the buildings is restored (I assume the Primary one would become primary again and the one over the road revert back to the spare - however whilst it was the primary it will have issued out IPs from its DHCP poll which could potentially cause issues?

And to complicate matters further, the MX participates in AutoVPN so which MX would be participating in the VPN as they would have the same subnets.

Or is is just a matter of should the fibre link do down then we manually have to shutdown the switchports to the spare MX to take that MX and switch(es) offline until the fibre link is restored.

All advise and guidance greatly received.

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If communication is completely lost, yes the two have taken over as primary.

And yes, if communication is reestablished, the primary will take over again.

I don't know how you planned your design, but having only one fiber between buildings is not a very good idea.

Remember that you will need at least 2 WAN IPs (one for each MX) 3 if you consider using a VIP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks for the reply.

There will be 2 fibres LACP and each fibre will terminate into a separate switch the the stack at each end.

The ISP connection and the MX WAN ports will patch to local switches using a L2 transit VLAN.

Yes, will be using a VIP.

My concern is really around what would happen if say a digger was to dig up the fibre under the road or some other catastrophic event that took out all the fibres between the 2 buildings.

Would we end up with both MX's being a primary.  Or is Meraki clever enough to know that even though VRRP has been lost on the LAN, that the Primary MX is still up in the dashboard and hence the Spare MX will remain as spare ?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The VRRP exchange is done via the LAN interfaces, so if communication is completely lost between both MXes, both will assume it as primary.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yeah that is my fear.  We will end up with both MX's thinking they are primary which is going to totally screw the AutoVPN and wreak havoc when the LAN connection is restored between them.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

You could consider, in stead of running the two fibres between A and B as a pair, you could do fibre runs in different directions. A customer I have has an East-West link between two organizations, with a dark fiber, using LACP. On fiber i 1 km, the other is 10 km long in a different direction.

That way, if you have one fiber that's dug over, chances are the other isn't impacted, as it is, physically, somewhere else.

Other than that, you might want to review the Campus LAN design guide, https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Meraki_Campus_LAN%3B_Planning%2C_Design_Guidelines_and_Best_Prac....

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Thanks, unfortunately we have to live with what is there as we cannot dig up the highway to get a 2nd diverse route. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you install a wireless / microwave link between the buildings as a backup?

Dunky
A model citizen

Good shout, I will have to investigate.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels