Getting Random Reboots - MX84 and 14.24

mike318
Getting noticed

Getting Random Reboots - MX84 and 14.24

Couldn't find a beta thread, but running 14.24 on an MX84 is leading to "Reboot - Power Outage" events. Not a big deal but wanted to report it. 

20 REPLIES 20
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Any reason why you need to be at 14.24?  13.28 is the stable. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
mike318
Getting noticed

Well no, we are beta testing 14.24

But also, Insight needs 14.24 to run, and we are beta testing insight 🙂 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Ah good to know.  I got approved for the Beta but haven't updated my MX's yet.  Thanks for the heads up on that firmware.  Can you go newer to one of the 15.x firmwares?

mike318
Getting noticed

14.24 is the latest available for the MX84 it would appear. However, it does seem we can roll back to Stable from the dashboard, which used to require calling support. Thats a nice update. 

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Do you have Auto VPN enabled? There was a known issue in 14.23 that caused reboots when that was enabled, which I believe is still happening in 14.24. I'm seeing this issue on the MX250/450 platform. 

@Adam What MX platform are you trying Insight on? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

@MRCUR will be MX64, MX84 and probably one or two MX100's. 

mike318
Getting noticed

Yes, I do have autoVPN enabled.

Insight is cool, but until it supports VOIP it won't be very useful for us. 

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I'd suggest opening a case with Support so they can track the issue on 14.24 (there is still no known issue listed in the firmware release notes). I have case 02484511 open if you want to mention it. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Are you still seeing this issue? I'm up to 14.25 now and still having the random reboots. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I'm waiting to implement my Insight trial until I hear that some of this stuff is resolved.  I don't want to go through the pain of upgrading MX firmware to cause myself grief. 

mike318
Getting noticed

I'm happy to report that we are not seeing very many reboots on 14.24 anymore. Seemed to be a bigger deal close to the upgrade.

reboot.PNG

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Um whats that big red blob 3/30 or 3/31 ish?

mike318
Getting noticed

sorry should have specified, those were not power loss / reboot related (ISP)

j5428
Conversationalist

We are seeing random reboots on a new mx250.  MRCUR if you don't mind me asking how often do they happen for you?  We're on 14.21 and the MX has been replaced.  New one does the same.

Thanks.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@j5428 I'm now running 14.25 and the frequency has been greatly reduced to only one or two reboots per week now. I'll also note that all of the S2S VPN peers are on 14.25 now as well (one MX64, one Z3 and one vMX100). 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Ceden
New here

Having a similar issue right now. We did a firmware upgrade to v14 on our MX84 last December and experienced this issue. We have been awaiting a resolution since then.

We were offered an alpha upgrade to attempt to resolve a content filter issue two weeks ago (v15 firmware) and it continued to exhibit the issue.

Opened another ticket due to an issue with the security center not displaying information, was offered to upgrade to v14.25... declined.

So you are definitely not alone in this one.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Ceden I'm not seeing the issue on 14.25 at this point. I had one or two right after upgrading to 14.25 on an MX450 HA pair but have not had any since then. I've had no other issues with 14.25 across a variety of MX/Z3 units. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

@MRCURCan you tell me if you are currently using an enterprise license or an advanced license?

We are on an advanced license.

j5428
Conversationalist

Upgraded to 14.25 and we have been stable for 8 days.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Ceden I am using Advanced Security with AMP & IPS enabled (along with Insight, which adds a good bit of RAM overhead). 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels