Firmware Update to HA unit

SOLVED
ZDonaldson
Getting noticed

Firmware Update to HA unit

Hey All,

probably a simple thing, but I'm not seeing how to do it.

I would like to update firmware to my passive HA security appliance, fail over to the update unit, then update the "primary" unit.

I can't seem to find a place in the dashboard that only allows me to update one particular appliance.  Any ideas?

Zane D - IT Manager in Sin City NV
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Appliance Network with Two MXs in an HA Configuration

When MX appliances configured to operate in High Availability (HA) (either in NAT/routed mode or when operating as one-armed VPN concentrators), the dashboard will automatically take steps to minimize downtime when upgrades are performed to ensure a zero-downtime MX upgrade. This is achieved through the following automated process:

1. The Primary MX downloads firmware

2. The Primary MX stops advertising VRRP

3. The Secondary MX becomes master

4. The Primary MX reboots

5. The Primary MX comes online again

6. The Primary MX starts advertising VRRP again

7. The Primary MX becomes Master Again

8. The Secondary MX downloads firmware (approximately 15 minutes after the original upgrade is scheduled)

9. The Secondary MX stops advertising VRRP

10. The Secondary MX reboots and comes back online

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Scheduling Firmware Upgrades

Keeping up-to-date on firmware allows administrators to utilize the latest features and ensures that the latest security enhancements are running on their hardware. Admins can upgrade to the latest stable or latest beta firmware. Follow the steps below to schedule a firmware upgrade. 

1. Navigate to Organization > Monitor > Firmware upgrades.
  2. Click the All networks tab in the upper-left.
  3. Select the devices or networks to be upgraded by clicking the checkboxes beside the network names. Admins can specify upgrades on a per-network or per-device type basis by using the Device type, Current version, and/or Firmware status dropdown selectors.
  4. Click the Schedule upgrades button.
  5. Select the firmware version that should be upgraded to using the Target firmware version selector.
  6. Select either Perform the upgrade now or Schedule the upgrade for, specifying a specific date and time for the upgrade.
  7. Review the Change Summary and select Schedule change for network

Note: When downgrading from a beta firmware to a stable firmware, a feedback request page will be presented. Please select any options that reflect the downgrade reason before selecting Schedule change for network.

So I guess your point is that there is no option to do it this way?  if both of my HA units are in the same network and are the same device type, there is no way to specify a specific unit to be updated?

Zane D - IT Manager in Sin City NV

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Appliance Network with Two MXs in an HA Configuration

When MX appliances configured to operate in High Availability (HA) (either in NAT/routed mode or when operating as one-armed VPN concentrators), the dashboard will automatically take steps to minimize downtime when upgrades are performed to ensure a zero-downtime MX upgrade. This is achieved through the following automated process:

1. The Primary MX downloads firmware

2. The Primary MX stops advertising VRRP

3. The Secondary MX becomes master

4. The Primary MX reboots

5. The Primary MX comes online again

6. The Primary MX starts advertising VRRP again

7. The Primary MX becomes Master Again

8. The Secondary MX downloads firmware (approximately 15 minutes after the original upgrade is scheduled)

9. The Secondary MX stops advertising VRRP

10. The Secondary MX reboots and comes back online

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels