Failing over an intermittent connection on a MX appliance

SOLVED
Ron-Sungard
Conversationalist

Failing over an intermittent connection on a MX appliance

Hi, I hope someone can  help with this.

I have an MX appliance with an active WAN1 connection to the internet that is showing packet loss (about 20% packet drop). The WAN2 connection is in a ready state and I need to manually fail over the connection to WAN2 because tme MX appliance isn't doing so because it still sees WAN1 as connected.

How do I do this?

RonReid
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes thanks, I found this but there is an additional setting to be changed in the event of intermittent packet loss on a circuit, the active-active autovpn must be set to disabled or Meraki will still try to use the previously defined uplink and the vpn will be unstable.

RonReid
adamhughes
Here to help

Hi Ron,

It may not be 'graceful' but you could physically disconnect the WAN1 cable, this will force the failover to the WAN2 interface.

I'm not aware of an option to manually force this failover from the dashboard and you can't shut the interface like on a Cisco switch.

Hope this helps.

adamhughes
Here to help

PhilipDAth has the better approach, much nicer than pulling cables 🙂

I completely forgot about the Primary Uplink configuration option in the dashboard.

Nice one Philip.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels