Error during network creation for a Z1 appliance

FernandoC
Comes here often

Error during network creation for a Z1 appliance

Hello,

i am trying to create one network for a Z1 appliance that should be installed in a remote site of our company. There is a template we use for these installations. When I try to create the network (associated with the template, I get the message "Failed to autogenerate 1 unique subnet for VLAN 'Default' : subnet pool '/24 from 10.0.0.0/8' has 0 subnets available". There are currently less than 40 subnets used.  Has anyone an idea about the cause for this message?

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

12 REPLIES 12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That sounds like a bug.

You might be able to create a network manually and then bind that network to the template.
https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...
Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

@FernandoC, I've seen this error before. You most likely have a summarized 10.0.0.0/8 route somewhere in your network. Because the Meraki devices see this route, it is sent out across your network thinking there is no network available to generate. It is the same reason why when you are creating the network, you will see a message saying that the network you're creating overlaps with another network and the more specified route will take preference. While you are still able to manually create networks, the auto-generation will not work. Is there a way you can remove the summarized route without breaking your network?

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hi,

thanks. Must look deep at it, to decide how to remove an eventual summary... would there be a workaround (to avoid removing the summary)?

Fernando

@FernandoC wrote:

Hi,

thanks. Must look deep at it, to decide how to remove an eventual summary... would there be a workaround (to avoid removing the summary)?

Fernando

@FernandoC, I don't have the answer to that yet. In fact, that is something I am working on as I type this. I hope to have something for you soon.

Thanks.

@FernandoC, Sorry for the long delay in getting this resolved. In order to get this fixed, I had to move the network with my summarized route into a new organization. After this was done, I had no trouble utilizing templates for network creation.

You can easily move your network (and licensing for the device) to a new organization (known as an Org Split) by calling Meraki support. I had to do this yesterday morning and from start to finish it took roughly 15 minutes. When doing an Org Split, the configuration of your device does not change, so you can rest assured that your configuration will be there. Also, I did not experience any down time when doing the org split but it is possible you may experience a 1-2 minute drop.

If you have any further questions on this, I'll be happy to respond.

Hi

Did you ever come up with a suggestion on how to work around this 10.0.0.0/8 summarized route issue, as I am not able to remove the route?

Doing an Org split is also not an option.

Hi @DennisSN,

Unfortunately the org split and some static routing rules were my only options in this situation.

I think I'm running into this issue as well.

My data center HUB has 10.0.0.0/8 as a 'local network', so anything internal goes to the HUB and then to the DC (static route pointing anything to SPOKE /16 to the HUB).

My SPOKE sites are using 10.10.0.0/16 , which I have been manually assigning /24's to but getting tired of this. I wanted it to assign a unique /24 via templates, but hitting the same error as original poster.

I'm going to assume I'm screwed and will either have to keep doing this manually, or change remote sites to 172.16.0.0/16 ?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Open a support case and have them take the org off "strict" mode and it will allow it. 

Hi @NolanHerring , As @PhilipDAth already mentioned, this can be  bypassed by adding a backend feature by Meraki support. Please open a case and explain your situation and support will take care of the rest.

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@Raj66 wrote:

Hi @NolanHerring , As @PhilipDAth already mentioned, this can be  bypassed by adding a backend feature by Meraki support. Please open a case and explain your situation and support will take care of the rest.

Cheers!

Raj

@PhilipDAth  and @Raj66 

Support enabled this and now it works !!

Woohoo thank goodness you guys said something lol

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels