Does Meraki MX Series supports multiple WAN termination in single WAN port ?

SouvikT
Just browsing

Does Meraki MX Series supports multiple WAN termination in single WAN port ?

Hi Community, 

I want to create a solution for one of my customers. They want to implement SDWAN in 1000+ branch locations. They currently hosting proprietary software in their own physical DC and Branches are using MPLS connections to access the software.

I want to propose Meraki MX appliances for their Brach Office as well as DC & DR. So, more than 30+ MPLS and ILL connections are terminating in their DC. My question is as there are no appliances with 30+ physical WAN ports in MX series devices, how can I terminate all those links in 2 boxes ?

The solution I can think of is using L2 switches I can create different VLANs for all links and terminate each VLANs and configure router-on-a-stick on a single WAN port in MX device. Is it a possible solution or WAN ports in MX series doesn't support 802.1Q protocol. If it is possible my next question is how I can load balance all the link through one port. 

Thanks & Regards,

Souvik

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What a waste of money, wouldn't it be easier for everyone to have an MX inside the SD-WAN?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Customer has a migration planned in future. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Terminate all MPLS in a L3 switch stack and route to single ended MX in concentrator mode.  Use a separate enterprise edge firewall and that way the single ended MX can terminate VPNs from anywhere.

We have used this setup with up to three concurrent MPLS and 3 concurrent internet connections over the last few years and it works well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels