Does Meraki MX Series supports multiple WAN termination in single WAN port ?

SouvikT
Just browsing

Does Meraki MX Series supports multiple WAN termination in single WAN port ?

Hi Community, 

I want to create a solution for one of my customers. They want to implement SDWAN in 1000+ branch locations. They currently hosting proprietary software in their own physical DC and Branches are using MPLS connections to access the software.

I want to propose Meraki MX appliances for their Brach Office as well as DC & DR. So, more than 30+ MPLS and ILL connections are terminating in their DC. My question is as there are no appliances with 30+ physical WAN ports in MX series devices, how can I terminate all those links in 2 boxes ?

The solution I can think of is using L2 switches I can create different VLANs for all links and terminate each VLANs and configure router-on-a-stick on a single WAN port in MX device. Is it a possible solution or WAN ports in MX series doesn't support 802.1Q protocol. If it is possible my next question is how I can load balance all the link through one port. 

Thanks & Regards,

Souvik

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What a waste of money, wouldn't it be easier for everyone to have an MX inside the SD-WAN?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Customer has a migration planned in future. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Terminate all MPLS in a L3 switch stack and route to single ended MX in concentrator mode.  Use a separate enterprise edge firewall and that way the single ended MX can terminate VPNs from anywhere.

We have used this setup with up to three concurrent MPLS and 3 concurrent internet connections over the last few years and it works well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.