Direct VLAN configuration on MX250

SOLVED
OSPF71
Here to help

Direct VLAN configuration on MX250

We are refreshing our network with Meraki gear and I am in the planning stages of moving over all the firewall rules, VLAN information, etc. to a MX250. We have a point to point vlan connection to a branch office that is local to our corporate headquarters. On our current WatchGuard XTM 5 the port is configured as a trusted subnet. I am assuming on the MX250 I just need to configure the branch office subnet vlan along with the others (in Addressing & VLANs) and in the section below that (per Port VLAN configuration) configure a port for the branch office vlan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@OSPF71Can you provide more information as to the point to point. Is is a layer 2 through the PTP private link to your branch office? everything is flat from MX/watchguard to that office or is there routing being done between the sites? If it is L2 like your post is semi-alluding to, your on the right path, if you have L3 your going to need some routes on the MX250. I also assume this site comes back through that private link to get to the internet/services?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@OSPF71Can you provide more information as to the point to point. Is is a layer 2 through the PTP private link to your branch office? everything is flat from MX/watchguard to that office or is there routing being done between the sites? If it is L2 like your post is semi-alluding to, your on the right path, if you have L3 your going to need some routes on the MX250. I also assume this site comes back through that private link to get to the internet/services?

Hi @DCooper. The Watchguard has the branch office VLAN configured on one of the interfaces and is directly connected to the branch via a Dell switch. After looking at the network information on the WG again under "Routes" I do see static routes for the subnets at the branch office (user, phone vlan's). Would I need to add those static routes under "Add a Static Route" on the Addressing & VLAN's section of the MX250?

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Yes sir, your correct on adding the routes. Copy them over.

So to summarize...under Addressing & VLAN's-Routing:

-Configure branch office VLAN/subnet

-Add static routes for user & phone subnets at branch

-Configure Per port VLAN for branch office ethernet handoff

Thanks again for clarifying!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels