Different traffic shaping when WAN 1 goes does and WAN 2 takes over?

Carlosjr56
Here to help

Different traffic shaping when WAN 1 goes does and WAN 2 takes over?

We are setting up backup cellular modems connected to WAN2 on our MX65 routers. I was wondering if there was a way to stop streaming on traffic via WAN 2, when WAN 1 is down so it won't eat up the data plan with streaming. I did a bit of research and did see it might be possible with the API? What parameter would I use in the API for that?

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm a bit "grey' on this one.  I think you might be able to raise a support ticket to have WAN2 converted to being a "cellular" link.  Then you can use the cellular failover rules to block additional traffic.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Firewall_Settings#Cellular_Failo...

Support can help with this. The rules defined in the "Cellular failover rules" section can be mapped to the WAN 2 interface. But this only works if you contact Support and request the backend config be put in place.

I'll give support a call. Could I do failover rules to deny any streaming? 

They are layer 4 style firewall rules, so you'll have to do a bit more work than simply selecting a category.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels