Different traffic shaping when WAN 1 goes does and WAN 2 takes over?

Carlosjr56
Here to help

Different traffic shaping when WAN 1 goes does and WAN 2 takes over?

We are setting up backup cellular modems connected to WAN2 on our MX65 routers. I was wondering if there was a way to stop streaming on traffic via WAN 2, when WAN 1 is down so it won't eat up the data plan with streaming. I did a bit of research and did see it might be possible with the API? What parameter would I use in the API for that?

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm a bit "grey' on this one.  I think you might be able to raise a support ticket to have WAN2 converted to being a "cellular" link.  Then you can use the cellular failover rules to block additional traffic.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MX_Firewall_Settings#Cellular_Failo...

Support can help with this. The rules defined in the "Cellular failover rules" section can be mapped to the WAN 2 interface. But this only works if you contact Support and request the backend config be put in place.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

I'll give support a call. Could I do failover rules to deny any streaming? 

They are layer 4 style firewall rules, so you'll have to do a bit more work than simply selecting a category.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels