Device/user loses Internet access after connecting to Client VPN

Solved
IT_Tropolis
Here to help

Device/user loses Internet access after connecting to Client VPN

Hi:

One user connecting to MX64 Client VPN loses Internet access after connecting.

Dashboard does show user as connected to Client VPN.

Other users connecting to same MX appliance with Client VPN do not have issue.

Tried wireless & wired connections from remote device but same issue.

Tried different physical location/different ISP connection from remote device but same issue.

Updated device drivers & BIOS (Dell laptop) but same issue.

Anybody else experience this issue before?

Thank you,

Bob H.

1 Accepted Solution
IT_Tropolis
Here to help

The Dell Optimization program causes this issue.  Uninstalling the program resolves the issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Windows 10? AnyConnect? After VPN connection what are the ip setttings?

Yes, Windows 10.

No, not AnyConnect, rather Windows 10 native L2TP VPN client/connection.

After VPN connects, user gets assigned a Client VPN IP just like all Client VPN users.  The IP does not conflict with her assigned local IP from her wireless router.

Kyojuro
Here to help

I've had this issue in the past and it worked after I did a firmware upgrade to latest version. Is your MX on latest firmware?

MX is running 16.16.1.  I just sch. it to upgrade to 16.16.4 overnight.

JordanCN
Here to help

I just had 3 clients in the past week start experiencing this issue.  The users all had Netgear wireless devices at home. I believe they had Orbi devices.  See if the users can use their mobile phone as a hot spot and see if the issue goes away.

I would also check their TCP/IP Advanced settings for the VPN connection and see if "Use Default Gateway on Remote Computer" is set the way you want and make sure there is not a IP subnet overlap.  

JordanCN
Here to help

Also, I just came across this online utility that was created to make a VPN client connection.  

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-client-vpn.html

I noticed at the end of the script there is a command to create a registry for connecting to a MX behind a NAT.  You could try just running this command and rebooting the client and see if this resolve the issue.

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent -Name AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule -Value 2 -PropertyType DWORD -Force | Out-Null

IT_Tropolis
Here to help

The Dell Optimization program causes this issue.  Uninstalling the program resolves the issue.

Well, that's what I call optimizing! 🤣

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels