Default route on mx

Tirop
Comes here often

Default route on mx

Hello guys,

I have the below default route on a mx but it seems not to work. The route is meant to point traffic to a FW that is meant to be the GW to the internet. However, the route doesn't work and traffic to the internet uses the MX as the GW. Anyone with an idea why?

Tirop_0-1600690419717.png

6 Replies 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A default route is always 0.0.0.0/0 and not /24.

What is your topology. The other gateway is connected to a LAN-Port and not the WAN port? In general, the Internet should be connected to WAN.

Tirop
Comes here often

Hey Karstenl.

Ohh yes, that is correct about the default route. Thanks.

The other GW is connected to the LAN port. The othet GW has a different internet link which is the one I want to use and not the internet connecting to the meraki WAN port.

Hi @Tirop You can install a 0.0.0.0/0 as a static route and make the next hop the other gateway you want to use on the LAN side of the MX and that should work fine. The "default WAN route" of 0.0.0.0/0 will always be there in the routing table by design and as the last resort, but your static will take precedence.

Tirop
Comes here often

Hey @MerakiDave Thank you for the reply. Will test and revert on how this goes.

Tirop
Comes here often

Hello @MerakiDave I did input the default route as advised. However, it is not working as should. I have a branch and HQ. I have configured VPNs and the branch should browse via the HQ. At the HQ there is a FW (205.205.1.169) connected to the LAN on the Meraki. The FW should be the GW to the internet. However, the branch gets to the HQ via the VPN whic is okay but does not make use of the default route to get to the internet. See below. The 3rd hop should be 205.205.1.169 if the route works as should. Is there something I am not doing? The trace is from the branch. 205.205.1.93 is the MX at the HQ. 205.205.2.254 is MX at branch.

Tirop_1-1602915738906.png

Tirop_0-1602915561857.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Tirop you need the default route to be 0.0.0.0/0, you have 24 so it only applies for 0.0.0.0-0.0.0.255

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels