Dashboard Inbound rules

Solved
diablo24
Building a reputation

Dashboard Inbound rules

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I upgraded my MX to 18.107.2 and I noticed that Inbound filters were turned on. However, I can't find any documentation on how this works. I've seen some topics in the community regarding inbound rules, but they mostly apply for NAT or Port Forwarding. Does the dashboard inbound rules refer to the same topic? Or are these Inbound rules different?

Thanks in advance,

-Jerome

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is more common to use this when using NO-NAT, but basically, you just add rules to say what to allow in via the WAN interfaces and what to block.

Note that if you don't add any rules (like in the screen shot), everything is allowed in.  Anyone will be able to access the local status page on the MX, or any service using NAT or PAT without restriction.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

IPv4 Inbound rules are a feature you have to open a support case to get enabled.

Any chance you are looking at IPv6 inbound rules?  IPv6 doesn't use NAT, so it needs rules if you want to allow anything into a server you are hosting.

PhilipDAth_0-1692044725785.png

diablo24
Building a reputation

Sorry, my bad was looking at the wrong MX. Here's the MX I'm talking about:

diablo24_0-1692045069688.png

We did call support to enable it. However, I still can't find docs on how to use it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is more common to use this when using NO-NAT, but basically, you just add rules to say what to allow in via the WAN interfaces and what to block.

Note that if you don't add any rules (like in the screen shot), everything is allowed in.  Anyone will be able to access the local status page on the MX, or any service using NAT or PAT without restriction.

diablo24
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAthI do have NAT turned on. Thank you for the explanation.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

RaphaelL_0-1692053059114.png

IPV6 inbound rules but.... the rule is dual stack.. 🤔

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels