DHCP "No Offers Received"

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

DHCP "No Offers Received"

I'm trying to integrate a Broadlink Mini RM4 to my Meraki homelab and am encountering some strange issues.

Topology is MX -> MS -> MR -> Broadlink Mini.

I continue to see the device disconnect and reconnect to the network.

When I look at the Meraki event log, I see "DHCP Problem", along with "No Offers Received"

Brash_0-1655030504199.png

The weird thing is that when I take a packet capture, I can see the device go through the full DHCP process - Discover, Offer, Request, Acknowledge - and program an IP address. It then does some DNS lookups, connects out to some cloud IP's and then goes through the DHCP process again.

Plenty of other devices, including IOT devices are already connected to this SSID without issue.

I've tried disabling 5Ghz for that SSID, and verified there's plenty of available IP addresses in the DHCP pool.

Short of running up an external DHCP server and testing with that, just checking whether anyone has encountered anything similar.

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try put the RM4 device close to AP and see if it still happens

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It shouldn't be congestion or interference related as I've only got maybe 5 other devices on that SSID, and maybe 15 across all.

I've tried it in multiple locations around the house, including about 4 meters from the AP with no difference.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do read rm4 wifi can be somewhat problematic. Maybe the rm4 got a firmware update?

Did you try a open ssid ?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The does seem to be one newer firmware version than the one shipped, but it won't stay connected long enough to update.

There's a few more tests I'm planning to do (hopefully tomorrow):

- Connect up an old unifi AP to test

- Run up an external DHCP server on a new vlan

Open SSID is a good one. I'll add it to the list too.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Forgot to circle back on this.

I was able to get the RM4 connected with the same network settings on a UniFi AP.

I played with all of the available radio settings (power, band steering etc.), including aligning them with what was set on the UniFi AP but just couldn't get it consistently connected on the Meraki AP.

Seems to be some sort of compatibility issue that I couldn't nail down.

I ended up donating the RM4 to a friend who is running it without issue on an Eero Mesh.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels