DHCP/VLAN issue

SOLVED
Dstryr91
Comes here often

DHCP/VLAN issue

I am trying to migrate from a Sonicwall SoHO 250 to a MX68 and I appear to be running into issues with my config.

My Windows DHCP server sits in VLAN 1 but I can't figure out how to relay to it. I've tried turning off DHCP response from the MX, but then I get nothing.

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you explain what you mean with "and I need to be on this VLAN also"?

If your DHCP-server is in VLAN 1 and the client is in VLAN X, then DHCP-relay is the feature to use.

If your client is in the same VLAN as the DHCP-server, no DHCP-functionality is needed on the L3 device (the MX) between them as the DHCP-server can directly give the client its config.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried activating DHCP relay on the Vlans your endpoints are behind? You should be able to point them to your DHCP server then.

Probably a poor choice of words on my part, but I can't relay to the DHCP server to VLAN 1 because it sits on that VLAN and I need to be on this VLAN also. The other VLANs work fine, but they are for CCTV (VLAN 30) and VoIP (VLAN 20) traffic. I've tried turning off DHCP response, but then I get no internet access. 

The only way I've had it working is to set up a flat network with DHCP running on the MX.  

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you explain what you mean with "and I need to be on this VLAN also"?

If your DHCP-server is in VLAN 1 and the client is in VLAN X, then DHCP-relay is the feature to use.

If your client is in the same VLAN as the DHCP-server, no DHCP-functionality is needed on the L3 device (the MX) between them as the DHCP-server can directly give the client its config.

Arun_TE
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Have you tried as per below doc?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/DHCP/Configuring_DHCP_Relay

Meraki - To do something with soul, creativity or love.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels