Creating a DMZ with pair of mx250

merman01
Here to help

Creating a DMZ with pair of mx250

I have a pair of mx250 on our network boundary set with required policies and rules and all is ok.

Im looking at creating a sperate network within our network to keep some kit seperate (by hardware) for the rest of the network.

I want to have a dmz there between 2 new mx250 to control traffic in and out.

Is there any thing special or different I should do with the 2 MX that would suit a dmz / restricted network companed to the setup of mx250 for boundary / isp connections ?

Also to make them more secure should I have the dmz / mx250 / switches in the new restricted network in a seperate dashboard in case account is compromised ?

Are there any issues with having 2 seperate dashboards in the one site ?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look at this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Creating_a_DMZ_with_the_MX_Security...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is very similar.

Typically you would create firewall rules between the DMZ and the inside of your network to limit an infected DMZ machine from spreading to internal devices.

Typically you just NAT into the DMZ from your public IP address space (which creates a natural type of firewall rules for inbound traffic to the DMZ from the Internet).

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We use WAF rules on a (non Meraki) firewall for WAN to DMZ and then normal rules from DMZ to LAN for any access required there as @PhilipDAth mentioned above.  I'm not sure if the MXs can act as a Web Application Firewall (WAF), the L7 rules might work like that.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the MX cannot act as a WAF due to various limitations, the best thing would be to have a system like a BIG-IP to work with WAF.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels