Copper transceiver inserted on MX250 internet port but unable to bring up

RonaldTan
Comes here often

Copper transceiver inserted on MX250 internet port but unable to bring up

Hi All,

i am handling a tech refresh which involving a replacement of MX84 with MX250. the old appliance was connected with copper cable to its internet port  hence in the new unit, we insert a copper transceiver (MM-SFP-1G-TX) to support the copper connection but the internet port LED was not blinking when we plug the cable. Has anyone encountered this issue before?

6 REPLIES 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RonaldTan yes there was a firmware issue with recognising newer 1Gb Cu transceivers.  You need to find an old one or connect the MX to the internet via a fibre connection to get it to update to then work with the newer Cu transceiver.  You need to go to 15.43.1 or later.

RonaldTan
Comes here often

Hi cmr,

thanks for your reply, may i know how do we pre-stage the appliance with firmware upgrade to the latest version before bringing to customer site as the appliance has already claimed under our customer meraki account

Best Regards

If you have a switch with a 10Gbe port in your staging environment then you could connect the MX250 to that via a TwinAx cable.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your feedback, i have a switch which i connect my meraki to and get internet access but it required to add into meraki dashboard so that my MX250 can connect to meraki cloud and get firmware upgrade right ? The problem is my customer has the old MX in place and i cannot remove it until the migration date. Is that a workaround solution where i can get the new MX router upgrade first before i bring to customer place?

>but it required to add into meraki dashboard so that my MX250 can connect to meraki cloud and get firmware upgrade right 

The most you can do then is to create a temporary staging network that is a copy of the production network and put the MX into that.  This will get the MX onto the correct firmware.  Nothing else will be kept.

Owen
Getting noticed

The MX84 WAN1 and WAN2 ports are 10/100/1000 while the MM-SFP-1G-TX is only 1000. It won't come up if the handoff port is a lower speed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels