Content Filtering white list

Matt_C
Here to help

Content Filtering white list

Hi all,

Does the white list allow the URL to be visited if that URL is covered by a Content Category defined in the Category blocking section of content filtering, also does it allow a URL to be accessed if it is in the black list?

Manythanks for your time and help.

Kind regards

Matt

3 Replies 3
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Content_Filtering

If any of the above steps produces a match, then the request will be blocked or allow listed as appropriate. The allow list always takes precedence over the blocklist, so a request that matches both lists will be allowed. If there is no match, the request is subject to the category filtering settings above.

I would supose that it also takes precedence over the Content categories & Threat categories

Hope that helps !

Hi there,

Many thanks for the reply, yes it looks like the white list trumps the black list and the content categories if I have understood the document correctly.

Many thanks for your time and help

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Allow List

Applies the following settings to a client:

• Restricted Youtube content will NOT be bypassed by allow listed clients as it is NOT considered part of Content Filtering.
  • IDS/IPS under Security & SD-WAN > Configure > Threat Protection will NOT be bypassed.

Note: The device is still subject to association requirements and per-SSID bandwidth limits on MR access points, as well as Uplink Configuration and Security Filtering on a MX security appliances. RADIUS attributes that would assign a bandwidth limit to a client

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels