Content Filtering Message?

SOLVED
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Content Filtering Message?

I could have sworn that when I enabled Content Filtering on my MX84, blocking adult sites for example, that when you tried to go to them, it would give you a message about 'this has been blocked for XYZ reasons' or something.

I just upgraded to 14.39 and testing is showing it basically just not loading the page, and eventually an error page message.

It works in the sense that I can't reach it, but just thought it would give a message.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Haydn
Getting noticed

I also found this page, not sure if it helps you or not but at the bottom is a couple of troubleshooting points for the 'Block Page' not displaying

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

My 14.39 MX64 still has the Block Message configuration under Network-wide General. Do you have a message set there?

image.png

I do indeed, however that is for when Apple byod devices get blocked from the corp SSID via the group policy settings under access control. That works perfectly.

Maybe i'm just not remembering it correctly? i just could have sworn there was a message about content filtering.
TwitterLinkedIn

It is? Oh, well ignore me then. I always assumed that was for content filtering. 

Haydn
Getting noticed

I get the following, I cant see that you can customise it anywhere or turn if off/on ? It points to Wired.Meraki.com though

ContentFilter.JPG

So maybe with @jdsilva's first reply make sure the first part is enabled (from the screenshot)
"Local device status pages (my.meraki.com, switch.meraki.com, wired.meraki.com)"

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

@Haydn wrote:

I get the following, I cant see that you can customise it anywhere or turn if off/on ? It points to Wired.Meraki.com though

ContentFilter.JPG

So maybe with @jdsilva's first reply make sure the first part is enabled (from the screenshot)
"Local device status pages (my.meraki.com, switch.meraki.com, wired.meraki.com)"

This is what I believe I remember seeing in the past.

Hmm...I guess I'll have to tshoot this  =(

Thanks !

TwitterLinkedIn

oooooh I think I figured it out

I guess I need to find a page not using HTTPS

Block Page is Not Displayed
If your browser/the website is using HTTPS/SSL, the browser will not be forwarded to the block page. Due to the encrypted nature of SSL requests, the MX cannot decrypt and redirect HTTPS traffic. Instead, the MX will force the request to timeout (an example of which can bee seen in Fig. 3, below).
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring  Yes HTTP will show a block page, HTTPS wont so you normally get a server error/timed out message. 

The is normal will most vendors unless you are using some form of DPI-SSL / MITM

Haydn
Getting noticed

I also found this page, not sure if it helps you or not but at the bottom is a couple of troubleshooting points for the 'Block Page' not displaying

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels