Consistent restarts on MX firmware 16.16

SOLVED
CWK_Rob
Getting noticed

Consistent restarts on MX firmware 16.16

I updated all my MXs to 16.16 yesterday, and since the update 2 of my sites (the only 2 on this particular ISP provider Shaw Canada - the rest are on Telus) have been experiencing consistent restarts in the following pattern at BOTH sites:

Restarts>Up for 30 Minutes>Restart>Up for 2 hours>Repeat

I rolled back the firmware to 15.44 and the problem resolved.  Something that Shaw's ISP didn't like about  working with an MX on16.16? Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From memory, 2 hourly reboots happen when it thinks there is a problem with the uplink.  Are there any errors showing on the appliance status page?  DNS error, anything?

My next guess is the firmware upgrade didn't actually happen.  It had an error during the upgrade and was re-attempting the upgrade every 2 hours.

Otherwise, you'll need to open a support case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From memory, 2 hourly reboots happen when it thinks there is a problem with the uplink.  Are there any errors showing on the appliance status page?  DNS error, anything?

My next guess is the firmware upgrade didn't actually happen.  It had an error during the upgrade and was re-attempting the upgrade every 2 hours.

Otherwise, you'll need to open a support case.

I'd need to see the dashboard to confirm. But my suspicion would be what Philip said in that it didn't successfully update.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sadly, the dashboard doesn't tell us which firmware is running on the device, only which firmware should run. I also had situations where things didn't work and Support told us that the device was running an old version although it showed the new version. Here Meraki is definitely hiding too much from the customer.

CWK_Rob
Getting noticed

Hi everyone, thought I'd follow up.  Although I haven't confirmed with Meraki Support, it DID seems like a stuck firmware upgrade that attempted every 2 hours.  I rolled back to the previous version and they have been running fine since then.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels