Connection improves when I remove 'Normal policy' from client to "Whitelisted"

Arne
New here

Connection improves when I remove 'Normal policy' from client to "Whitelisted"

MX100 and MR53 on MX firmware 17.9

I have connection issues with clients when they have a "Normal policy". When I change the policy to "Whitelisted" the client has better network performance. Issues seems to occur mostly with a MR53.

How could this policy change affect performance when our "Normal policy" is quite simple.

Seen with a Windows 10 laptop trying to connect to a PostgreSQL database. As soon as I put the client in "Whitelisted' connection issues were gone.

Normal policy settingsNormal policy settings

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, I can see that It has a bandwidth limit, so when you put the clients on a Whitelisted they will not have a bandwidth limit.

alemabrahao_0-1666708780216.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

By the way, I suggest you downgrade It to version 16.16.6. version 17.x has an instability issue.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Anything in particular? I've never noticed any instability issues with any Meraki update (so far).

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

25Mb/s is VERY slow

Arne
New here

Getting some good input here. The previous administrator set 25Mb. Thought it would be OK since I had this at home for quite some time. How would one compute needed banded for 100 clients (or 100 + x clients?)
I'll up the bandwidth and see how it goes.

Arne
New here

Still looking into this, because in the general settings (SD-Wan & Traffic shaping) of the bandwidth it says 50Mb yet the Normal policy is set at 25Mb. It seems the Normal policy is picked up when the client first associates with the SSID. As mentioned in this page: Policies by device 
Does this mean I need to reset the policy for all the clients manually?
Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 10.40.16.png

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's the MX configuration for MR  It's on Wireless > Configure > Firewall & traffic shaping.

alemabrahao_0-1666776434558.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels