Connect Meraki network to Verizon hotspot

JordanNolan
Here to help

Connect Meraki network to Verizon hotspot

I have got an MX64 security appliance and a couple of MR32 WAPs at a small office.  Unfortunately the DMarc where my main and backup the Internet connection comes in got damage so my Internet will be out for several weeks.

I thought I would go to Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T and pick up one of the compatible USB 4G modems, but none of the companies stock them at the store.  Also, they cannot guarantee that the versions they special order will match the USB IDs on this list:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Cellular/3G_-_4G_Cellular_Failover

Is there any way I can bridge one of those Verizon MiFi hotspots to the MR32s to get Internet access at that site?

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Get a hotspot with an Ethernet port, and plug it in via Ethernet.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have heard people talk about CradlePoint a lot in your part of the world.  Perhaps check them out.

Ben-Graves
Conversationalist

If you have a spare laptop, you could connect it to your hotspot.

Then configure the internet connection to be shared, connect it to the laptop via a unmanaged switch (or etc).

Then the MX and devices would use the laptops shared internet connection via the hotspot and come online.

When I was having ISP problem, I connected a Verizon JetPack to a laptop, and I bridged the JetPack and the laptop's NIC card.  Then, connected from laptop to the Meraki.

I didn't have good experience with this setup.  May be a USB modem will work, I used this Verizon Global Modem USB730L

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Verified this device below works on MX64 and others on T-Mobile with minimal setup. Might be a solution for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0JY15V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels