Configure wireless router connected to MX64

SOLVED
karimijoint
New here

Configure wireless router connected to MX64

Hello. We purchased a NetGear Orbi to add to our office setup.

Our current setup ISP Modem > MX64 >

1. 1 Port - Wireless Router
  2. 1 Port - Switch for all computers to be connected via ethernet 

I cannot figure out how to login to the wireless router to set it up. Please advise. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah I see

How do you have the port configured on the MX64 where the ORBI connects to

Also random thought here, would it make more sense to plug it into the switch down the path instead of directly to the MX64?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

You mean you can't figure out how to connect to the Netgear Orbi to configure it?

I'm not sure if these forums are the rights ones to be asking to be honest 😃

Here is a video guide by Netgear on how to set that device up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WACCry4i-q8
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks. I know how to configure the router itself. I am unable to access the router login page to configure because it's connected to the MX64. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

why? you get a error? can you ping the router? did you add firewall rules to the mx?

Ah I see

How do you have the port configured on the MX64 where the ORBI connects to

Also random thought here, would it make more sense to plug it into the switch down the path instead of directly to the MX64?
TwitterLinkedIn

I am unaware of how the port is configured. I've only plugged it in. 

I tried plugging into the switch, and I was unable to set it up several days ago. I tried again after your message, and I've successfully configured it. Thank you.

Is there any security risk or disadvantage of not connecting the wireless router to the Meraki MX64?

If you keep it on the switch with the other hardwired clients, then any traffic from the client to client won't have to go through the MX, so that could be a positive?

You'll want to review how that port 1 is configured for sure though
TwitterLinkedIn

Thank you for your help. The first time I connected the wireless router to the switch, I was unable to receive a signal. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

If the Orbi has an AP mode, probably needs that. My guess the lan is static on a different subnet than the MX. The MX wants to do DHCP, but the Orbi isnt doing that on the LAN. You could try via the WAN, but then it probably won't be available. I would plug directly into the orbi lan and configure it to have a static private ip in the subnet with the MX. Then connect then 2 back up via LAN ports.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels