Configuration Template Question

Solved
FiveRings
Just browsing

Configuration Template Question

I have a production network using a config template which has vlans that are variably subnetted into /24 networks from a larger pool of /18's. I'm in need of changing some aspects of this network's configuration. I cloned this template so I could configure these changes, but I wish many of the vlan's and their subnets remain the same. What is the best way of accomplishing this without affecting production? My concern is that when I apply this cloned template, the production networks will receive a different subnet from the pool of /18. Is there a way to ensure they keep the subnets currently assigned to the original template configuration?

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately it's not possible, you will have to change the template and change the subnet manually.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately it's not possible, you will have to change the template and change the subnet manually.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There's no way to ensure that they keep the subnets.
When you bind to the new template, they should pull new randomly assigned subnets.

You can either manually (or using the API) re-configured the subnets immediately after attaching to the new template. Or you can create a new network with the new template, setup everything the way you want it and then migrate the devices from the old network to the new network.

Both of these will likely incur some downtime.

FiveRings
Just browsing

Support confirmed that applying the new template will assign a random subnet to the vlans and there's no way to change that behavior at this time.  You can, however, unbind the network from the original template and choose to keep the current configurations settings which effectively accomplishes the task hand so I can tweak the settings I need to tweak.  Thanks all for the responses!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels