Clients on router subnet

SOLVED
Aondio_Carlo
Here to help

Clients on router subnet

Hi,

on a meraki mx400 in addition to the local lan I have several subnets connected with static routes. On the network-side client page, only the local LAN clients appear but none of the other networks. In order to apply a group policy to a client of these networks, can I just add it manually? to add it I am asked for the mac address. Once added the group policy is applied correctly as if the client were on a local one?

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Aondio_Carlo ,

If I understand right, you have a layer 3 device between some clients and the MX? In that case you should be changing the way the clients are tracked from MAC to IP.

image.png

If there's an L3 device in between then all the clients will appear to come from the same MAC, so applying policies ot MACs won't work as intended. 

For the MX, you really don't want to have a mix of directly connected clients, and L3 separated clients. Try to keep it to one or the other.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kordm
Getting noticed

Is the MX400 routing traffic between the subnets or is there a hop to another router? If so, is that other router (or APs, for example) using NAT for those clients?

Sounds like the traffic for those networks isn't actually passing through the MX400.

Hi,

yes the subnets are hop from a another router which is not my management but I am not aware that it does NAT.

Regards

Hey @Aondio_Carlo ,

If I understand right, you have a layer 3 device between some clients and the MX? In that case you should be changing the way the clients are tracked from MAC to IP.

image.png

If there's an L3 device in between then all the clients will appear to come from the same MAC, so applying policies ot MACs won't work as intended. 

For the MX, you really don't want to have a mix of directly connected clients, and L3 separated clients. Try to keep it to one or the other.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels