Clients not receiving IP address from DHCP configured on MX

Driver111
Comes here often

Clients not receiving IP address from DHCP configured on MX

Apologies in advance for the basic request for help!

The issue i'm facing is that I installed a mx65 and configured DHCP and clients connected to the MR33 aren't picking up DHCP addresses from the MX65.

The plan is to bridge the VDSL Modem/router, put an MX65 in path and and migrate the DHCP server role over to the mx65:

Previous setup:

WAN VDSL modem/router (DHCP Server) > Meraki MS120 Switch > Meraki MR33 AP

Finished setup:

WAN VDSL modem/router (Bridge Mode) > MX65 Sec appliance (DHCP Server) > Meraki MS120 Switch > Meraki MR33 AP

Mobile devices seem to grab their own addresses on the same subnet but not in the range i set and end up causing conflicts with static addresses. To me it seems like a VLAN issue but not entirely sure of whats incorrectly configured.

The existing DHCP server has been disabled.

Its configured as a pretty simple/flat network, no current need for additional vlans at this stage.

My set up is identical to whats in this demo someone has blogged, minus the subnet.

http://www.slashadmin.co.uk/demo-lab-configure-a-meraki-network/

Any ideas?
Thanks!
-Brendan

6 REPLIES 6
Ben
A model citizen

So you have the exact same configuration? 

I would say it should work or you would have forgotten to make clients part of the LAN in the SSID config? 

By default every SSID is setup with Meraki DHCP. 

Perhaps it's good to post some pictures of your setup instead of a link to a blogpost, this way we can have a look at your actual config.

Cheers,

Ben

Driver111
Comes here often

Hi Ben,

Appreciate the reply.

Heres some screenshots for SSID config as well as router and switch ports between MX & switch.

Im not able to get a dhcp lease plugging a laptop directly in to a port on the MX. Im guesing my config issue starts there.

Onedrive folder link:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al_pfYAbIatbgqpmq8vjeWMChrhBDQ

You have VLANs set to disabled but your trunk port is configured for VLAN 1.

I would enable VLANs and just use VLAN 1 configured on the trunk ports. When you enable the VLANs on the MX it also gives you the ability to configure the LAN ports on the MX itself, thus giving you the ability to set a specific port to either trunk or access and what VLAN you want.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Ive done that, setting eveything to vlan1 and now unable to get AP online while the MX is in path. 

It seems to go through its LED colour cycle and starts flashing orange.

Any other suggestions?

@Driver111

This setup is too simple for it to not be working, so there is something fundamental that is missing.

So do me a favor

• Provide me a screenshot of your entire Addressing and VLANs config page on the MX.
  • What port on the MX is your MS plugged into?
  • What port on the MS is your MX plugged into?
  • Provide me a screenshot of the MS port configuration (entire config), the one that connects to your MX
  • Provide me a screenshot of the port the AP is plugged into

We can figure this out together  😃

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hi mate,

This is now working, I ended up getting fed up & deleting the entire network to start again. As soon as i did that and re-added the devices it came up instantly.
Im not sure as to why, its still on the same vlan settings as before and theres no complex configuration... anyway im happy its up.

I expected the inital setup to be this easy.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers

Brendan

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels