Clients getting APIPA addresses when attempting to renew DHCP leases

Alex71
New here

Clients getting APIPA addresses when attempting to renew DHCP leases

I have a problem with one my networks. This morning, warehouse complains they cannot use the scan guns. Turns out they have APIPA IPs. I saw this happen many months ago and could temporarily resolve the issue for 24 hours (because that is how long our DHCP leases last) by rebooting the MX. The final solution was to downgrade the firmware from Beta to Latest Stable. Worked great after that.

I'll also mention that when looking at the wireless health of the AP/SSID, that the successful percentage of DHCP requests was extremely low. Tried forcing the SSID to 2.4 GHz only. Tried lowering the minimum bitrate. Tried rebooting the APs. Downgraded AP firmware. All steps were recommended by Meraki Support and none made a difference.

Now, the problem has returned. FYI: The MX firmware has not been upgraded recently and it is the exact same 15.42.1 version as all my other MX68CWs. I see a 15.42.2 version is available. Maybe that will fix the issue.

MX = MX68CW

MS = two MS210-24P and 1 MS210-48FP

MR = MR45 and MR74

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue and what you discovered was the ultimate culprit.  Just something wrong in the MX firmware that necessitated upgrading the firmware?

1 Reply 1
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Alex71 : Check if this thread helps you 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2099252-devices-will-some-times-get-assigned-an-apipa-address

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels