Client details show only switch traffic not the MX (in mixed network)

PawelG
Building a reputation

Client details show only switch traffic not the MX (in mixed network)

I have strange problem with one of my home network clients. 

It's TV 4K box, which is streaming TV channels via internet (UPC 4K Decoder). It's connected directly to MX75 appliance. 

On the default client list ("all") I can see the TV box but only with stats from switch - the traffic is minimal, as the TV box is not taking with any other devices in my network - it's probably just broadcasts etc. 

When I select "security appliance client" I can see the TV box from MX's perspective with some gigabytes of data (which is correct).

The problem is, that when I click the client to get details (on both lists) I get the client page with only switch statistics. No way to get MX's perspective client details. 

Is there any way to force dashboard to show client details from MX perspective not the switch in combined network.

I don't have that problem with numerous other clients in my network (connected to switch, but also to MX itself)

BR, Pawel

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good problem.  I would start by checking everything is running stable firmware or better.

Is the switch just running in layer 2 mode (no layer 3 configuration)?

PawelG
Building a reputation

I've opened the TAC case for that. I'll wait for their feedback. 

I think that client page always shows only one source of traffic data for every client. There is no functionality that aggregates what switch and MX see - it's only switch perspective or MX perspective (or MR perspective). In most cases they will be very similar, but in my case the are quite different. It's the dashboard logic that select which version to show (I guess)

Br, Pawel

PawelG
Building a reputation

I've just got reply from TAC.

This feature is not supported currently - this means that in mixed networks there is no way to choose which traffic perspective dashboard shows. 

In case client is connected to MX and has some traffic with local devices overs switch You will see only "switch" perspective loosing internet traffic that does not hit switch ports.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels