ITJosh
Conversationalist

Client VPN can ping only some computers

My network is consisted of multiple VLANS:

management 10 (192.168.10.0/24)

wired clients 100 (192.168.100.0/23)

wireless clients 200 (192.168.200.0/23)

and the VPN subnet (192.168.30.0/25)

I am able to connect to the VPN successfully, and I am able to ping all the default gateways for each VLAN. However, I do not see any pattern with what I can ping and what I cannot. I can ping a few clients in VLAN 100, and a few in 200. The few that I can ping are laptops, desktops, mobile phones, APs, etc. But I also cannot ping a few desktops, laptops (of the same model and OS).

For example, right now I am trying to remote desktop from a VPN client into a wired windows desktop on VLAN 100. I allowed remote desktop connections on the windows machine. I can remote into it from another windows machine on the same VLAN, but not from the VPN client.

I just barely implemented this network less than a week ago, so I have not added any firewall rules. All connections between SSIDs are allowed. Is there something else I can check for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you add a rule to allow inbound traffic from the subnet allocated for client VPN.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My guess - Windows firewall on the machine you are trying to access.  If you turn Windows firewall off on the destination machine does it work?

ITJosh
Conversationalist

Yes, I am able to connect to it without the firewall. Is there a certain rule that I have to add to the host's firewall?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you add a rule to allow inbound traffic from the subnet allocated for client VPN.

ITJosh
Conversationalist

That worked! Thank you so much for your help!

shreyakith
New here

can you run a packet sniffer such as Wireshark while having a continuous ping -t to your file server

you can check the issue

also do you have VLANs?   incorrect VLAN or IP address in the file server can cause this issue.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels