Client VPN & tethering to iPhone

CamG
Here to help

Client VPN & tethering to iPhone

Hi,

Using the client vpn for my org. Usage it ramping up just like everyone else... finding it bit unreliable.

Hit connect > username and password input > and then it just sits 'verifying username and password' reboot, probably works the next time...

However, I've found it almost never connects when tethered to iPhone. All other types of connection seem better. Anyone else experienced this? Got troubleshooting tips?

10 REPLIES 10
Nash
Kind of a big deal

This is my time to shiiiine.

Are you on a Windows device?

If so, run this PowerShell snippet to set the registry key you need for cellphone hot spots:

$registryPath = "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent"
$name = "AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"
$value = "2"
New-ItemProperty -Path $registryPath -Name $name -Value $value -PropertyType DWORD -Force | Out-Null

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Forgot to say: Reboot your device after adding the reg key, so that the key takes effect.

CamG
Here to help

Ran it, noticed the registry changes so it must have ran, still no good.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm going to guess you are using the Windows GUI to connect the VPN - and that is flaky.

Try Start/Run/rasphone.  It works much much better.

Didn't fix the VPN/iOS tethering issue. But that's good to know as the Windows GUI is flaky you're right.

MarkiP
Getting noticed

Does the event log (Network-wide > Event Log, filter by All Non-Meraki / Client VPN) throw any light on this?

I think this... may be the issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206844

Had not found that filter on the event log before. Will take a look! thanks.

ivanavich
Conversationalist

"Note that iOS does not support client VPN connections made through a hotspot. If an iOS device is set up as a hotspot, neither it nor any devices connected to that hotspot will be able to establish client VPN connections."

do you have the KB article for that?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels