Client VPN Setting

Solved
GOwens
Here to help

Client VPN Setting

I am trying to set up a vpn for my remote users to have access to our network. Where do I find the server name or ip address to give my remote user so he can point to the client VPN tunnel? In the Security & SD-WAN \ configure\ Client VPN - it has a really weird name for the Hostname (xxxxxxx.dynamic-m.com). This does not seem to work as the client says the remote connection was not made because the name on the remote access server did not resolve.

1 Accepted Solution
KevinFry
Conversationalist

Some quick steps for you to authorize yourself to use the Client VPN:

- Login to your Meraki Dashboard (with an administrator account)

- Navigate to "Security & SD-WAN" then "Client VPN"

- Under the "User Management" heading find your name and click on it

- Change the "Authorized" drop down from "No" to "Yes"

- Click "Update User"

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

It should be resolvable...

Check the troubleshooting steps here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Dynamic_DNS_(DDNS)

That helped me find the ip address. It is now trying to connect, but it is asking for a user name and password. I dont think my domain controller is connecting to the firewall, nothing seems to work.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

If you don't want to go with the provided name, you can use the public IP. Another option is set a A record on your domain for something like vpn.mydomain.com and have that point to the public IP.

dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

The hostname xxxxx-yyyy.dynamic-m.com works like a free dynamic DNS included with your MX appliance. it should be pingeable from internet. Event log should give you more information of what it went wrong with the VPN session.

You should test the VPN client session with your admin account. Configure the L2TP session in your smartphone with your admin account and check everything is working fine.

vpn.jpg

If by any chance you have System Manager licences and a combined network, you can automatically push VPN profiles to your enrolled devices. it works great.

I set it up on my smart phone and when i try and connect it says authentication failed. Where do I find the administrator account in my Meraki to make sure i am putting int he correct credentials??

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

If using Meraki authentication then it is your login info for the dashboard. username = your email

@GOwens  From what I have read it sounds like you are new to Meraki, I would highly recommend all users complete the Meraki ECMS1 training, this will help you out a huge amount with troubleshooting. 

Where would I get the ECMS1 training?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@GOwens wrote:

Where would I get the ECMS1 training?

https://community.meraki.com/t5/ECMS1/ct-p/ecms1

@GOwens  The ECMS1 training is also FREE! 

KevinFry
Conversationalist

Some quick steps for you to authorize yourself to use the Client VPN:

- Login to your Meraki Dashboard (with an administrator account)

- Navigate to "Security & SD-WAN" then "Client VPN"

- Under the "User Management" heading find your name and click on it

- Change the "Authorized" drop down from "No" to "Yes"

- Click "Update User"

KevinFry,

Thank you so much, that got me connected, however I really don't want to manage a list of authorized users. I would much more prefer that they are authorized by Active Directory. There must be something miss-configured because when I had that turned on I could not authenticate. When I look at my AD Servers on the security/configure/active directory page, it shows them unreachable, but i have one connected and sending out dhcp for anything connected on the lan...??? Any ideas? It may be because my MX is on a 192.x.x.x and the rest of my networks are on a 10.x.x.x.

KevinFry
Conversationalist

@GOwens I suggest taking a look at some of the great documentation to help you troubleshoot and isolate your particular setup. Some suggested docs:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Configuring_Active_Direc...

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Client_VPN_Overview

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels