Client IP Conflict Detected

Shadius
Building a reputation

Client IP Conflict Detected

Hi all,

I'm getting this client IP conflict detected message from my MX250 appliance. There are multiple clients with the same MAC address on the network. It looks as if the MAC address hops around to different clients. I'm not sure how that is happening. I'm not even sure if this makes any sense.

Can anyone help in trying to figure this out, please? 

I don't even know where to start.

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are multiple clients with the same IP address - or the same mac address?

Shadius
Building a reputation

Multiple clients with the same MAC address. 

Shadius
Building a reputation

We have a Domain Controller with a static IP address and the Meraki Event Log is showing that every hour or so the MAC address is XYZ then another hour or so it's ZYX.

There's teaming on the two NICs on the Domain Controller.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is probably related to your teaming configuration.  You probably have it set to use "Switch Independent", which causes the Windows server to keep flipping between the MAC address of the NICs.

If you have a switch that supports LACP then you can configure that which will stop the issue.

Shadius
Building a reputation

The teaming mode is set to Smart Load Balancing With Failover.

How can I check if the switches have LACP already configured or not?

Happiman
Building a reputation

It could be a WIFI clients moving around your building. Switches remember the IP Address and its MAC, then it gets the new IP address, before your switch flushes the MAC.

Shadius
Building a reputation

The Wi-Fi is on a different network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels