Conversationalist

Cisco SFPs with Meraki MX-250

hi i want to know if these Cisco SFP are comaptible with meraki MX-250

GLC-SX-MMD

SFP-10G-SR

these document only show meraki SFPs

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_sfp.pdf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Jose_Luis the other answers are correct, Meraki does not lock out 3rd party SFP transceivers, and you can expect traditional Cisco SFPs to function properly in Meraki equipment in general.  There is no concept of "service unsupported-transceiver" on the Meraki gear. 

Non-Cisco 3rd party SFPs are also likely to work, but definitely unsupported, and your mileage may vary.  You tend to get what you pay for with 3rd party optics, and I'm not just saying that since I've been both a Cisco SE and a Meraki SE, but I've seen it many times in the field, where 3rd party optics cannot get linked up over a longer fiber run that is still within spec, but the link was solid when Cisco optics were swapped in.  The Cisco optics are more expensive and are also superior quality, I've seen it dozens of times, even on distances that were over-spec. 

If it's a net-new purchase for a hybrid deployment, like Meraki access layer to a Catalyst core, then by all means purchase the Meraki optics for one side and Cisco optics for the other, very common.  And if you're replacing some Cisco gear with Meraki gear, it's typically just fine to swap the Cisco optics into the Meraki switch or MX appliance. 

Where it gets a little tricky is with support.  Cisco optics will be covered by SMARTnet on the serial number of a Cisco switch for example, not by the license on a Meraki device.  Those will be handled on a case by case basis in the rare times when a Cisco SFP fails within the warranty period while running in a Meraki device.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

They will probably work (Meraki don't deliberately stop non-Meraki SFPs from working) but they won't be supported by Meraki.

thnks, i think better i order 1 SFP MEraki for my MX250 and 1 cisco SFP to connect to my CIsco Catallyst switch.

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

You can also check out fs.com they do a whole range of compatible sfp adaptors

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~

Hi @Jose_Luis the other answers are correct, Meraki does not lock out 3rd party SFP transceivers, and you can expect traditional Cisco SFPs to function properly in Meraki equipment in general.  There is no concept of "service unsupported-transceiver" on the Meraki gear. 

Non-Cisco 3rd party SFPs are also likely to work, but definitely unsupported, and your mileage may vary.  You tend to get what you pay for with 3rd party optics, and I'm not just saying that since I've been both a Cisco SE and a Meraki SE, but I've seen it many times in the field, where 3rd party optics cannot get linked up over a longer fiber run that is still within spec, but the link was solid when Cisco optics were swapped in.  The Cisco optics are more expensive and are also superior quality, I've seen it dozens of times, even on distances that were over-spec. 

If it's a net-new purchase for a hybrid deployment, like Meraki access layer to a Catalyst core, then by all means purchase the Meraki optics for one side and Cisco optics for the other, very common.  And if you're replacing some Cisco gear with Meraki gear, it's typically just fine to swap the Cisco optics into the Meraki switch or MX appliance. 

Where it gets a little tricky is with support.  Cisco optics will be covered by SMARTnet on the serial number of a Cisco switch for example, not by the license on a Meraki device.  Those will be handled on a case by case basis in the rare times when a Cisco SFP fails within the warranty period while running in a Meraki device.

Hope that helps!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels