Can you deploy multiple vMX100 instances in Azure

ccsimmons
Conversationalist

Can you deploy multiple vMX100 instances in Azure

I'm going to extend my Meraki VPN network / SD-WAN into Azure.  I'm curious if anyone has done this by deploying a vMX in more than one Azure VNET.  For example, if I place one vMX on a vnet in the South Central US datacenter, can I also place another on a vnet in the Central US datacenter?

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see why not.  On the Meraki side the only requirement would be that the vMX are not in exactly the same subnet (e,g. 192.168.0.0/24) - and being in different regions this seems very unlikely.

This shouldn't be a problem what so ever. It's just treated as another MX within the VPN SD-WAN overlay fabric. As @PhilipDAth has mentioned, make sure that the IP schemas for any subnets within the VNET's are not overlapping.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

This will work and is supported by Meraki. One consideration is if you are performing your own cloud interconnect like Netbond, if so additional configuration needs to be made on the backend through support to enable a design to prevent asynchronous routing.

Obviously other design considerations come up with this type of design and we are working on some more specific design guides for best practices. We are here to help you through those questions.

randyb
Conversationalist

We need a redundant solution in Azure connecting to 1 VNet, Does the vMX100 have any HA solutions.

Example Warm spare or Redundant vMX100 routing (must have a minimum of 2 vMX100 deployed in Azure connected to the same VNet)

Is this possible with the current vMX100

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels