Can't ping Non-Meraki S2S VPN peer subnets

SOLVED
Flavio_Vieira
Here to help

Can't ping Non-Meraki S2S VPN peer subnets

Hello, 

Need some help on accessing the subnets on the Non-Meraki S2S VPN peer.

I already have up and running an IPsec tunnel between HQ and Branch(ASA to ASA), now the idea is to update our Branch ASA5510 to MX84.

Just tested a VPN between MX84 and the HQ ASA and connects normally as I'm able to check over the " All Non-Meraki/Client VPN" event log.

My work on replacing the ASA to MX was to mirror the conf in ASA to MX, advertising the subnets the way they were on ASA. 

The problem is that I'm not able to ping the HQ subnets from the MX.

The only thing that I see suspicious is that in ASA I see several route as: 

route outside x.x.x.x(HQ subnet) 255.255.0.0 x.x.x.x(Branch MX WAN gateway) 10

I did configured a static route on MX, with HQ subnet pointing to MX local lan IP which does not go online on Route Table, tried too HQ subnet pointing to WAN gateway, but the MX does allow this stating that there's no subnet active as WAN subnet.

What is the issue?

Any help is appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My huge problem is with subnets 172.16.0.0/12 and 172.24.0.0/16.

172.24.0.0/16 the subnet which MX is connected through the VPN(HQ) and from HQ we have another branch with the 172.16.0.0/12.

In this other branch they have created the network 172.16.0.0/12, but they don't use the 172.24.0.0 network there.

If I advertise the subnets from MX tunnel to HQ(on both ends vice-versa) this way:

172.16.0.0/13

172.24.0.0/16

172.25.0.0/16

172.26.0.0/15

172.28.0.0/14

I mean, excluding the overlap subnet from the 172.16.0.0/12, will it work?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You wont need ot add a static route on the MX side.

I would start at the ASA at HQ and see what it is reporting.

Thank you @PhilipDAth

I just discovered that I can ping all subnets but one, I have 6 subnets advertised on VPN and just this one does not ping.

I'm current at Branch and I don't have access to the HQ ASA, so I'll ask them just in last resort.

test_lab.png

As you can see I have a Core switch that gets my subnets routing

With ASA in place, when I traceroute from a client below ASA I get these hops to the subnet that I'm unable to ping when Meraki is placed:

1 - 3ms - Gateway

2 - *

3 -  119ms - subnet in HQ

Maybe it is something that I'm missing?

Just found the issue:

overlappping_subnets.png

Overlapping subnets, with ASA in place I have no problem on working with these subnets.

I need to have access to all of them over the VPN, how can I manage to fix that? 

My huge problem is with subnets 172.16.0.0/12 and 172.24.0.0/16.

172.24.0.0/16 the subnet which MX is connected through the VPN(HQ) and from HQ we have another branch with the 172.16.0.0/12.

In this other branch they have created the network 172.16.0.0/12, but they don't use the 172.24.0.0 network there.

If I advertise the subnets from MX tunnel to HQ(on both ends vice-versa) this way:

172.16.0.0/13

172.24.0.0/16

172.25.0.0/16

172.26.0.0/15

172.28.0.0/14

I mean, excluding the overlap subnet from the 172.16.0.0/12, will it work?

If you advertise the more specifix prefixes it should work.

Thank you @PhilipDAth

For now I'll choose my guessing as solution because it'll take some till I can test this routes in HQ ASA.

For those searching for solution to the same problem, have in mind that this case just worked because the overlapping subnet 10.24.0.0 was not in use on both sites, but just in one side.

If you have same networks on both sites, a Non-Meraki VPN won't work in this case(at least this way) because it does not have the VPN translation active.

VPN translation, which is the feature that solves the problem of same subnets on both sites, only works with AutoVPN which is Meraki-to-Meraki VPNs.

If you need more info: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Using_Site-to-site_VPN_Translation

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels