Blocking or Traffic Shaping

SOLVED
SLR
Building a reputation

Blocking or Traffic Shaping

On the MX devices and or MR devices, which do you find is better?

Block streaming or make streaming availability painstakingly slow via traffic shaping. I have a lot of users eating up bandwidth at locations using youtube, twitch, hulu, spotify, and so forth. We get a lot of complaints from sites that have smaller internet lines running off celluar (cradlepoint) with a VOIP phone system in place. Calls get dropped. We have traffic shaping rules in place for SIP at high priority and All music & video at obey network per client limit low priority. I am rethinking this for all music/video and customizing the bandwidth limit to something incredibly slow.

Good or bad?

What are your practices you put into place. We do not block things unless it comes straight down from management at each location. (crazy, I know).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Generally it is easier to throttle or limit the bandwidth to a service than to completely block it, so that is usually the preference, I would say.

Many times it goes back to company policy. If company policy says no social media or youtube, then we just alert managers about it and they coach the employees.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Generally it is easier to throttle or limit the bandwidth to a service than to completely block it, so that is usually the preference, I would say.

Many times it goes back to company policy. If company policy says no social media or youtube, then we just alert managers about it and they coach the employees.

SLR
Building a reputation

That is what I was thinking. Unless the manager tells me to block it, I will just throttle it.

thanks for the insight.
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@SoCalRacer wrote:

This!  OMG all freaking day this!

Employees misusing company resources, especially to the determent of others, is an HR problem, _not_ an IT problem. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels