Blocking Spotify application

Philbud
Getting noticed

Blocking Spotify application

HI all, we are presently in process in testing an MX-100 device. We are scheduled to put it in production soon.

I have a stupid problem and I can't seem to find solution anywhere...We want to block spotify on network so I made a quick Layer 7 rule that denies Spotify. When testing after that I see that it blocks sportify.com when I go on website which is ok but if someone has the application installed on their computer they can still play music! What am I missing here?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the application was already running when you put the rule in place then it may not work straight away.  Hopefully next time they go to use it they will find it blocked (assuming that they are streaming not not using downloaded content).

No I can confirm that I restarted computer mutiple times for testing and that it's streaming content not downloaded.

Via application it works on all computer I tested on network.

I checked also and all clients are on the normal device policy which has the layer 7 deny spotify policy.

thanks

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version are you using?

MX 12.26

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The current "stable" code is 13.28.  You are well out of date, and should upgrade to that first.  You can do this under:

Organisation/Firmware Upgrades

ok i'll try that and let you know if it fixes my problem.

thanks

Ok our Meraki MX100 has latest firmware version MX13.28 and Spotify app on desktop still works.

Anyone can help me with this? How can I block Spotify via the desktop app?

Anyone can help me with this?

Is it normal that even if you have a layer 7 firewall rule blocking Spotify that it is possible for computer on network with the spotify desktop app to stream music?

Thanks for your help

jbhehoman
Here to help

I believe the Spotify app is dependent on TCP 4070. You could block that in the outbound firewall and give it a try.

Thanks i'll give it a try and let you know

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels