Best method to switch ISP w static IP on MX68

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Best method to switch ISP w static IP on MX68

I am getting new service today at my property. Just installing new fiber next to existing fiber. So I’ll just move the SC connector over. Easy. Thinking in the MX, I can just reprogram the IP info and then apply the settings the moment before I switch the physical connector. So thr settings will be invalid for a moment then valid once I move the LC connector. Any better way or better practice?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 REPLIES 5
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @RumorConsumer ,

Might be the swiftest way of getting her back online. As you say, whilst it’s still registered on the old cct, change the static WAN IP, wait for the setting to apply (it won’t of course come back online just yet), swap the cct over, MX jumps into life.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Of course, test the new cct IP details before switching if you can by connecting another device.  You got a switch with some sfp ports you can hook up?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

yes - we will for sure test before the change over. Thanks!!

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RumorConsumer if you only have one ISP then set up the new one on WAN2 and once it works, set WAN2 as primary.

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Yeah we ended up switching it over the way I thought to and then it didn’t work! So I used mx.meraki.com locally (serial number is the admin name) and it was a cinch to switch everything over. All is well thanks all.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels