Basic Configuration

SOLVED
Santhosh29
Here to help

Basic Configuration

Hi All,

In terms of MX deployment, What are the necessary basic configuration to be done to get dashboard from cloud or it's just automated?. I want to deep dive the concept behind deployment. 

Cheers,

Santhosh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You just need an IP address on the wan interface that has internet communication.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Quick-Start

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You just need an IP address on the wan interface that has internet communication.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Quick-Start

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thank you . I would like to know an option called manual or cloning configuration in dashboard of Meraki. Considering that manual config ,what capabilities are required? Is that config bring the visibility of firewall.

Your question is not clear. Have you checked the documentation?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

What's the purpose of the steps explained in above link which requires some configuration? 

& Purpose of that configuration.

As you told before just assigning IP  to wan link is sufficient to deploy firewall?

The Cisco Meraki dashboard provides centralized management, optimization, and monitoring of Cisco Meraki devices. In order to manage a Cisco Meraki device through dashboard, it must be able to communicate with the Cisco Meraki cloud (dashboard) over a secure tunnel. This tunnel is created between Cisco Meraki devices and dashboard to pass management and reporting traffic in both directions. 

Because the dashboard is located on the public internet, the tunnel is always initiated outbound from the managed device. Once a connection is established, the device maintains the connection by occasionally sending packets and receiving a response. When a firewall or gateway exists in the data path between the managed device and the dashboard, certain protocols and port numbers must be permitted outbound through the firewall for the secure tunnel to function. 

So, yes It's enough.

Didn't they explained that on CMNA training ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels