Bandwidth limitation per VLAN not per User

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Bandwidth limitation per VLAN not per User

Hi, all I am looking for a solution to limit bandwidth on the MX for a specific VLAN (Guest) I want to limit bandwidth to 100MB/S for the VLAN so all client together do not get more than this. 

Has somebody an idea how to make this. As in the Traffic Shaping Page it is always per client.

Regards Michel Rueger

8 Replies 8
dstewart
Here to help

Group policies will help you..

Creating and Applying Group Policies - Cisco Meraki

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Policy.png

It is written that this policy will be applied to all client in this VLAN. SO if I add a bandwidth of 100MB in this Policy each client will get 100MB but I want 100MB for all client in this Network (VLAN)

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There's no way to achieve this across the board.

You can limit the subnet to a specific amount of WAN uplink bandwidth using the WAN priority shaping settings.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Using_Packet_Prioritization_on_a_Tr...

For LAN, you can use CoS/QoS tagging for prioritization, however there's no direct mapping to an amount of bandwidth.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not ideal , but let's say you only have 1 uplink at the moment. Getting a second uplink and route your guess trafic to WAN2 and set the shaping to WAN2 to 100Mbps would be one lazy way to do it.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Traffic shaping in this way is more intended to be done on a Cisco router instead of an MX.
The only way you can "some" control is use the 3 configurable queues (high medium low) and assign traffic from each source subnet to a specific queue.  But a true limit will only be done per flow.

Dunky
A model citizen

I achieve this via the Traffic shaping rules where I limit the total bandwidth available to all clients on specific subnets added together, as per below:

Dunky_0-1703683472717.png

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

That is not working the way you think it is working, shaping is applied per-flow, not as a total to the subnets you've included.

@MichelRueger fyi that unfortunately what you are asking for is not possible on Meraki at this time.

Really?, wow that is not good then.  It doesn't matter too much for me as we send traffic from guest subnets over WAN2, it was more to limit the bandwidth from guests on WAN1 when WAN2 failed.

Yet again, another reasonable feature that's not available on the MX, it does make me question whether the MX is really fit for purpose as a firewall.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels