Any news on Meraki supporting AnyConnect or SSL VPN?

SOLVED
DBesa
Here to help

Any news on Meraki supporting AnyConnect or SSL VPN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @DBesa

I have yet to see any News that would suggest Meraki moving to an AnyConnect Client VPN at this point. I've seen many topics here with questions around it, but have yet to see any Meraki employees chime in. I've also heard questions in different quarterly updates with pretty non-informative responses. For now, I can only suggest we keep using the Make a Wish and asking for it or a comparable solution. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @DBesa

I have yet to see any News that would suggest Meraki moving to an AnyConnect Client VPN at this point. I've seen many topics here with questions around it, but have yet to see any Meraki employees chime in. I've also heard questions in different quarterly updates with pretty non-informative responses. For now, I can only suggest we keep using the Make a Wish and asking for it or a comparable solution. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

I'm won't exactly chime in @WadeAlsup with anything exciting except to say do keep making wishes, hanging in there, and make it known to your Meraki or Meraki Partner reps so feature requests can be prioritized accordingly.  

Thanks! We should have switched to MX if it only had SSL VPN Client support. That was the only feature that was a red flag for us that's why we settled for another brand for now. Hope Meraki considers to implement it soon.

Luke_M
Conversationalist

We've been looking for this functionality. Mind sharing what other brand you chose?

I don't mind at all. We went for the Sophos XG Firewall. It's a good product but I preferred the MX. The SSL VPN was the only deal breaker.

Luke_M
Conversationalist

Great, thanks DBesa! We already have MR32 WAPs, and I like the idea of an integrated dashboard. We're trying to decide between an MX plus a stand-alone SSL VPN, or a firewall from another vendor. Sure appreciate the info!

Thanks! We should have switched to MX if it only had SSL VPN Client support. That was the only feature that was a red flag for us that's why we settled for another brand for now. Hope Meraki considers to implement it soon.

@DBesa  I sell / support both Meraki, ASA, and Sourcefire solutions for customers.  In your case I would have recommended keeping the ASA for VPN, and simply moving your primary internet traffic over to Meraki.

I have several customers that still maintain support on their aging ASA5515-ASA5525 firewalls just to provide Anyconnect VPN continuity to their user base, while they have upgraded to Meraki for the default network exit point.  It is very simple to point a few routes over to the ASA for Anyconnect and L2L VPN, while keeping the default route pointed at the MX appliance.  This provides the best of both worlds, easy cloud managed security with deep VPN solution offerings from the ASA.

Think of the ASA as the swiss army knife that you really don't want to be stranded on a deserted island without, while the Meraki is the sleek speedboat that gets you where you want to go in style.

Not to speak for Cisco too much on the matter, but I am sure that they are well aware of how quickly their ASA business would dry up if they supported Anyconnect on Meraki.  I also believe they would experience a massive load of support tickets on their cloud platform that they do not currently have to manage.

Anyconnect has an update schedule that keeps pace with Microsoft updates, while Meraki has a quarterly update schedule.  It is unlikely that an appliance deployed software package which requires frequent updates and supports thousands of different settings would be a good fit for a cloud managed appliance.

I was told by someone at Cisco .. AnyConnect for Meraki was scheduled to be released in April 2018 (but they believed it would be pushed back to June ). but I don't have much confidence as the person didn't work for Meraki - take that as rumor or fact.. guess we will find out in 100 days from now...

Hello everyone,

Do you know if those information will be executed as previous, may be in April. I am concerning about it because on the quartely call nobody metion about this feature.

Kind Regards,
Rodrigo
Twitter: @rar_21
If this was helpful Kudo me 🙂
jh2276
Comes here often

I would like to know when AnyConnect will be available as well, thanks

Re: Any news on Meraki supporting AnyConnect or SSL VPN?  

I would like to know when AnyConnect will be available as well, thanks
Owen
Getting noticed

I predict SSLVPN will arrive in the same release as IPv6, regular routing protocols, logging for layer 7 drops, proper firewall interface (Objects, IP protocols other than 6, 17 and 1??) etc.

In other words don't hold your breath. If you need these features install something else on the side or another device completely.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels