Android Device name not showing dashboard.

SuvasishPaul
Conversationalist

Android Device name not showing dashboard.

Hello,

I wanat to detect all android user by their device name instead of android-1, android-2, android-3

I change my device name but it not showing up by its name. 

Laptops and iphone are showing by their host name. 

how to solve this problem

android.png

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Dashboard doesn't tend to update the device name very quickly after you change it.

The easiest option is to click on the client, and then click on the pencil and type in a name you want to know it by.

1.PNG

It happens only for Android device. 

I change my laptop device name and appear in dashboard instantly. 

but android device not showing up.

It´s very dificult to ask person by person their MAC id and rename in dashboard. 

Roska
A model citizen

Has there been some sort of privacy policy change that applies to Android devices which I´ve missed lately? Seems that all my Android devices went from being "User name etc" to Android-1, Android-2, Android-3 apparently based on enrollment date(?)

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

@SuvasishPaul Not that it solves your problem, but to rename the devices correctly you could try 2 different options.

1) Send a notification to the device, with a reference code for the user to send back like a pin and then it confirms the user of the device of just ask them to call you, but you would only be able to do one at a time, otherwise you would lose track of who is calling from what notification.

2) Depending on your users and environment, you could lock their device. I would hope they call you and don't wipe their phone first.

how can I send notification to device ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels