Add WINS servers to AnyConnect VPN Clients?

Solved
GroundControl
Conversationalist

Add WINS servers to AnyConnect VPN Clients?

Is it possible to add WINS servers to AnyConnect VPN clients? I am using an MX250. It is possible with IPsec VPN clients, but not with AnyConnect. Is there a workaround to get WINS servers attached to AnyConnect clients?

AnyConnect Client VPN Setting (No settings for WINS):

AnyConnect VPN SettingsAnyConnect VPN Settings

IPsec Client VPN Settings (Here we have WINS settings):

IPsec VPN SettingsIPsec VPN Settings

1 Accepted Solution

Yes, I'm afraid i have to look into some other work-around - or get the development department to drop the WINS server!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why do you want to configure the Wins server? It's a legacy service, use DNS server instead.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GroundControl
Conversationalist

I know WINS is a legacy thing - this however is a special usecase with different networks for test and deployment operations, and using WINS makes it easier for the users to manage their equipment.

Well, as far as know, It's not possible. Is the DNS suffix an option?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

The DNS suffix won't help in this situation.

Could it be possible to somehow add DHCP Option 44 when the MX gives the AnyConnect client its IP and DNS servers?

You can configure DHCP option but for Anyconnect I think It's not possible. Meraki has limitations when we talk about VPN client.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Setting_Custom_DHCP_O...

Yes, I'm afraid i have to look into some other work-around - or get the development department to drop the WINS server!

This is the solution.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels