Access device configured for another subnet

SOLVED
harmankardon
Getting noticed

Access device configured for another subnet

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

We recently went through a re-IP effort at a customer site to resolve a VPN subnet conflict issue, all is good on that front.

There is a headless Linux box that was missed during the re-IP and I'm trying to figure out of there is a way I can fix it remotely or if I need to be on-site.

The network topology is pretty simple: all devices are plugged into a single 24 port unmanaged switch and switch is plugged into one of the LAN ports of a MX67.

Previous MX configuration: Single LAN, subnet 192.168.0.0/24, MX IP 192.168.0.1.

Current MX configuration: Single LAN, subnet 192.168.8.0/24, MX IP 192.168.8.1.

The headless Linux box has a static IP in the previous subnet range (192.168.0.0/24) and would be configured with a gateway IP of 192.168.0.1 (the previous IP of the MX).

Is there anything I can do remotely on the MX side to allow this Linux box to communicate with either the outside world or another device on the LAN? (I have remote access to other computers at that site).

Perhaps I'm overthinking this and there's something obvious I'm missing. Any suggestions welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you can access another box on that site you could also add a secondary IP address in the same subnet (don't need to touch the default gateway) and access it via that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Temporarily change the IP address back, update the Linux box to use the new IP address, and then roll the change forward again on the MX.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you can access another box on that site you could also add a secondary IP address in the same subnet (don't need to touch the default gateway) and access it via that.

@PhilipDAth your first suggestion was a good one but your second suggestion was a great one. Turns out I don't have the right credentials for the Linux box, but I can at least get to it now by adding a secondary IP to a Windows box I have remote access to at the same site. I didn't even know that was possible in Windows, thanks again for the tip.

What do you mean by this statement.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels